Pages

Monday, 6 April 2015

Argentinian Sins in the classroom


It might be that teacher's concern at the very beginning of the year is mainly Behaviour. It could also be the fact that we wish to settle the way we should work for the rest of the year. Now that I come to think of it, it could also be that I have been too influenced by the teachers my students had before. Whatever the reason is, I feel terribly worried about my student's behaviour. 

I've read a thousand articles about dealing with disruptive students and behavioural issues in the classroom. The truth is that I couldn't come with any definite conclusion or solution to the problem as many English webpages come with recipe-like ideas which may prove useful for foreign students. But my Argentinian students' of English have the Argentinian gifts of talking without listening to the person they are talking to, interrupting when it is somebody else's turn to talk, making unnecessary “funny” comments which disturbs the rhythm of the class, just to mention the most noticeable ones.

Thus, as it is an innate characteristic which comes with them and is activated once they receive their Argentinian ID, most of my students share this quality. I have a minimum of 19 students who talk at the same time, who interrupt, who ‘share’ unnecessary. What could be done when the majority of students behave similarly, when they feel that this kind of behaviour is the expected one for their ages in the XXI century?

I have tried a variety of feelings to ‘share’ with them, like emoticons in whatsapp. I’ve been happy that we had the challenge, confident that we could improve, disturbed that I couldn’t notice any change, angry because they didn’t react to my ‘speeches’ and sad because last Wednesday I realised I lacked the most important issue: trust. Every time I talk to them o even threaten them I, myself, don’t believe a word of what I am saying, how on earth can I transmit it to my students. Unfortunately, I am an Argentinian teacher of English who doesn’t trust the system any longer.

Next issue: how to 'kick the board' and do something for these Argies, both teachers and students...

1 comment:

  1. Dai, I know you are very worried about this group and after reading your entry I can totally understand how you feel. Although I don´t have lots of experience I can tell that although it is fruitful to read and share comments, articles, advice concerning behaviour there is no recipe for this: what works weel for a kid doesn´t work for another one, what suited perfectly with your previous group may be ineffectual for the new one. Try to solve the difficult cases step by step but in the meantime don´t feel overwhelmed, there are many nice kids in that group that LOVE and APPRECIATE all your material, ideas and care.

    ReplyDelete